Alright boys and girls, it's time to dust off that old picture you love and dig up your proudest seed or article on the Vine, for this is the Newsvine Hottest People Contest 2007!
In my previous article I ask you, the Viners, if we should have a Hottest Men and Women of Newsvine Contest and so far, the response has been an overwhelmingly sound "YES". I checked in with Newsvine CEO Mike D. and he's cool with it, so let's do this!
Rather than making this a singling-out Hottest Man/Woman of the 'Vine, I want to eventually end up with 10 people in total, so this will really be the "Top 5 Hottest X and Y chromosome carriers" contest. The winners will be this year's hottest people on Newsvine and really, why don't you have them on your Watch list yet, huh?
These fine ten people will get a special Viners Branch from me: the 3D branch. It's the branch that doesn't go left nor right on the little icon, but forward. Unfortunately, the graphic I created for it turned out to make the whole thing look too much like a very… excited… cactus… :| so you'll just have to imagine this one on your own instead.
So this is the Entry round, where you can put yourself up to enter the competition. Staff members are eligible to participate but due to their immense popularity on the Vine they will be placed at a -10 votes handicap.
How does this work
You will need:
1. Post a comment to this article starting with this line:
********** ENTRY POST **********
2. In your comment, add a picture of yourself. Since the Vine comments prohibit posting images in comments, put a picture of yourself online somewhere and link to it with the very simple text: "Picture of [your name]" — any smartasses who leave the "[your name]" string in there will be disqualified for being lame. You don't have to enter your real name if you use a nickname here; just use whatever your Newsvine account name is, it'll keep things easy.
3. Next in your comment, add a link to a seed or article you posted that you're proud of; whether it was a fantastic seed or a very well-written piece, whatever floats your boat. Maybe even a simple comment on someone else's post; just find something that you did on the Vine that you're proud of, and that others are likely to really respect and/or admire you for. Smarts == sexy, so give us your smartest side! Link to it with a descriptive link text and also add a little quote / description on why you feel it is your best post.
4. For great hilarity, add your personal touch at the end of your comment to convince people to vote for you. Go nuts, make a Miss America speech about world hunger, do whatever you want — the funnier or more charming, the better. You're here to win people's hearts and set them a-flutter at the same time (that's also where that picture came in). Go baby!
5. Promote your entry post on this thread! Get people to go vote and participate, but please: don't spam your link everywhere. Be smart and civil about it; we want this contest to get enough attention from Viners all across the site so that it is a) more reflective and b) more fair, but we don't want it to be a nuisance of course. Perhaps the Newsvine staff can give us some ideas on how to do this most efficiently..
Now, that makes you an entrant for the competition, but how do you go through to the next round? That's where everyone else comes in.
To vote for someone from the entry round, simply vote for their comment that starts with the official Entry Round tagline. Ideally, you'd vote for them not just on looks but their comment as a whole, including whatever post they linked to.
Multiple start posts by the same author will disqualify the author; entries that don't start with that "Entry Post" tagline will not be considered for the nominations round. It's as simple as that.
This entry round will be open for two weeks exactly — on Monday, May 14th at midnight BST I will update this post and make a new post with the nominees. I will pick whatever number seems reasonable for the nominations, depending on how many we end up having in the entries pool.
Let's get this show on the road, people!